Importing products and materials
You can import your products and materials to Katana either directly from your e-commerce platform (products only) or using our XLS template. Your initial stock levels can also be imported to get started easily with Katana.
Import products and stock from your e-commerce platform
If you are selling online and managing your product stock levels on your e-commerce platform (e.g. Shopify), connect your e-store to Katana and import all your products and related stock levels to Katana in minutes. Imported products will keep the same variants structure as you have set up in Shopify. Here's how to connect your Shopify store.
Only product stock can be imported from e-commerce channels as materials typically cannot be managed on e-commerce platforms.
Import products and materials with the XLS template
We provide a possibility to import your products, materials and current stock amounts using a data import file template. Import template also supports creating variants of products and materials.
Note that if you already some existing products and materials in Katana, the imported file will match the items by Variant Code and will not import already existing products or materials (any data for those items will not be updated).
To import your products, materials and initial stock to Katana:
1. Download a template by clicking here. You can also find the template in Katana at "Settings" -> "Data Import".
2. Fill in the template. Notice that there are separate sheets for products and materials. We have included some comments to column headers, which should help you understand the structure of the template. If you have any questions, reach us in chat or via e-mail email@example.com.
Import template also supports creating variants of products and materials. Product name or Material name fields are used for grouping variants, i.e. rows with matching names will be grouped under the same product or material card in Katana. Enter different Variant Options and Variant Values to create variants of a product or material.
Example: If you have a product "Table" that comes in white and black color, create 2 rows with a matching product name "Table", add "Color" to "Variant option 1" for both rows and enter "White" to the first row and "Black" to the second row for "Variant values 1".
Note: You can import products and materials with initial stock using a single file with separate sheets, or you can import products and materials as separate files. Katana checks the column headers to determine the type of imported items.
3. If you wish to import initial stock, also fill in the "Initial stock quantity" and "Initial stock cost per unit" columns in the template.
4. Save the filled template in .xls or .xlsx format.
Creating .xlsx on Mac: Open the spreadsheet in Numbers and choose File -> Export to -> Excel... from the menu at the top of your screen.
Creating .xlsx in Google Sheets: Open the spreadsheet in Google Sheets and choose File -> Download as -> Microsoft Excel (.xlsx).
4. In Katana, navigate to "Settings" -> "Data Import". Click "Import data" and select the filled template file.
5. Your items and initial stock levels will be imported to Katana. This might take from a few seconds up to a couple of minutes, depending on the number of items you are importing.
When the import is complete, you will receive a message indicating the number of items imported. For an item to be imported, the product or material name must not be blank. Any rows in the imported file with a blank item name will not be imported.
Note: if any cell in the imported file does not match the requirements for the cell (e.g. column name does not match the template; letters inserted to fields that allow numbers only), the data in the cell will not be imported and the respective field for the item will be left blank in Katana MRP.
You can access your new items in the "Items" screen. If you also entered the initial stock to the template, Katana will create a respective Stock Adjustment and assign "Imported from Excel" as the adjustment reason. You can find the Stock Adjustment at "Stock" -> "Stock adjustments".
If you require any help, please contact us in chat or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.