How to manage bundles?
This article explains the solution for creating and selling bundles in Katana.
Bundles are collections of products sold together (a so-called package deal). You can use the subassemblies feature in Katana for creating and selling bundles.
In Katana, you can include products in the Product Recipe / BOM of another product. This functionality can be used in situations where you keep track of the stock for sub-products or sub-components used in production. But it can be also used for bundles.
To create and sell bundles:
- Create a new product for your bundle. E.g. "Cosmetics set".
- To the Product Recipe / BOM for the bundle, add the products that are included in the bundle. E.g. "Hand lotion", "Shampoo", "Conditioner". You might also add the "Set box" as a material to the recipe if the bundled products are sold in a special box.
- When you receive a Sales Order for the bundle and have not pre-made any bundles, the Sales Items availability status for the bundle on the Sales Order will show "Not available". It will show "Not available" even if you have all the bundled products in stock. This is because the bundle is a separate item in Katana and you need to make it before selling it.
- Create a Manufacturing Order for the bundle. We suggest using the "Make" -> "Make to order" button on a Sales Order to add the required Manufacturing Order to the "Schedule".
- The Ingredients Availability status for the Manufacturing Order will show you the availability of products included in the bundle (i.e. the ingredients of the bundle). You would need to create additional Manufacturing Orders for any products that are "Not available".
- When all the products included in the bundle are "In stock", you can complete the Manufacturing Order by changing the Production status to "Done".
- The bundle is now "In stock" for the Sales Order and the order can be shipped out by changing the Delivery status to "Delivered".