How are products imported from Shopify to Katana?
Products can be imported from Shopify to Katana in the following cases:
- You can choose to import all your products from Shopify to Katana during the initial integration connection. NB! If you are using SKUs in Shopify, then make sure they are unique for the import to Katana to work properly.
- If you choose not to import all products, only those products will be imported to Katana during initial connection that appear on imported Sales Orders. Read more.
- Later, when new Sales Orders are synced from Shopify to Katana, then products on those orders are imported Katana.
Products cannot be synced from Katana to Shopify.
Creating and matching products
Katana matches products imported from Shopify to your existing products in Katana.
- If a match is found, no new products are created.
- If a match is not found, a new product is created in Katana.
Note: "Custom items" on Shopify Sales Orders will be imported to Katana as products. Any custom items will not be matched between Katana and Shopify in the future. Read more.
This is how we identify whether a product already exists in Katana:
1. Checking SKU code. SKU code in Shopify will be compared to Variant Code in Katana as the primary condition to make the match. SKU codes are case-sensitive. For example, if SKU in Shopify is "code-1" and Variant Code in Katana is "CODE-1", these are not considered equal and a new product variant for "code-1" is created in Katana.
2. Checking Shopify ID. If you do not use SKU codes for your products or if there is no SKU match, then we use Shopify ID to match the product. This match cannot be made at the first time you are syncing the product. When a product variant is pulled from Shopify to Katana for the first time, a Shopify ID (hidden from the user) is added to the product variant in Katana for future identification. If the same product variant is pulled in the future, Katana matches the ID.
If the imported product does not match with any existing products in Katana, then a new product is created in Katana. Katana will recognize whether the new item is a new variant of an existing product or a completely new product.
Product data from Shopify is imported to Katana product data fields as follows:
|Product name||Product name||-|
|-||Category||Category does not exist in Shopify, so this will be left blank in Katana.|
|Variants||Variants||Both Shopify and Katana support variants, the product-variants structure will match between platforms.|
|-||Unit of Measure||Unit of measure does not exist in Shopify, Katana will use "pcs" as a default value for Unit of Measure.|
|-||Reorder Point||Reorder Point does not exist in Shopify, so this will be left blank in Katana.|
|Sales Price||Default Sales Price||When you have chosen to import all products during initial connection, then the Default Sales Price for product variants in Katana is determined based on the selected tax rate settings. Read more.|
When new products are imported to Katana as part of imported sales orders, then the Default Sales Price will be left for blank for products. The Price per Unit on a Sales Order in Katana will still match the Price of the product on Shopify Sales Order. The first comment only applies to determining the Default Sales Price in Katana.
|-||Cost||During the initial connection, you can define the cost for imported products. The initial cost of products will define the Average Cost for those items in the "Inventory" list. Read more.|
Editing or deleting a product is not synced
Editing data in either Shopify or Katana for a product that has already been imported does not reflect in the other system. Any changes to the product name, variant structure or sales price are not synced.
Deleting products in either Katana or Shopify does not delete the product automatically in the other system.
Syncing new products when the integration is already enabled
After you have enabled the Shopify x Katana integration, new products created in Shopify or Katana are not synced to the other system automatically.
New products are imported from Shopify to Katana only if:
- The product is included in a Sales Order that is synced from Shopify to Katana.
- The reconfiguration flow for Shopify integration is completed in Katana and you select to import all your products. Read more here.