How to partially complete a Manufacturing Order?
This article describes how to record a situation in Katana where you have completed some but not all items required by a Manufacturing Order.
Note: This approach does not work for Manufacturing Orders that are Making to Order for a Sales Order because the quantities cannot be changed manually on such Manufacturing Orders. If you wish to partially complete such Manufacturing Order for the purpose of immediate delivery of the items to the customer, check the bottom part of this article.
Although Katana does not yet have a dedicated feature for partial completion of Manufacturing Orders (coming soon!), there is an easy way to account for this in Katana already.
To partially complete a Manufacturing Order:
1. Open the Manufacturing Order you wish to partially complete.
2. Duplicate the Manufacturing Order.
3. We suggest changing the Manufacturing Order # for the duplicated MO to match the original MO. This would make it easier for you to identify those in the future (optional).
4. On the duplicated Manufacturing Order, adjust the quantity for the item by inserting the quantity that you have already completed.
5. Mark the Production status of the duplicated Manufacturing Order to "Done".
6. Go back to the original Manufacturing Order and adjust the quantity for the item to reflect the quantity that still needs to be produced (i.e. decrease the quantity by the amount that was already completed).
This is it! You now have an open Manufacturing Order for the quantity of the item that still needs to be made and a done Manufacturing Order for quantity already completed. The stock movements and status have been recorded in the background correctly for partial completion.