How are products imported from WooCommerce to Katana?
Products can be imported from WooCommerce to Katana in the following cases:
- You can choose to import all your products from WooCommerce to Katana during the initial integration connection. NB! If you are using SKUs in WooCommerce, then make sure they are unique for the import to Katana to work properly.
- If you choose not to import all products, only those products will be imported to Katana during initial connection that appear on imported Sales Orders. Read more.
- Later, when new Sales Orders are synced from WooCommerce to Katana, then products on those orders are imported Katana.
Products cannot be synced from Katana to WooCommerce.
Creating and matching products
Katana matches products imported from WooCommerce to your existing products in Katana.
- If a match is found, no new products are created.
- If a match is not found, a new product is created in Katana.
This is how we identify whether a product already exists in Katana:
1. Checking SKU code. SKU code in WooCommerce will be compared to Variant Code in Katana as the primary condition to make the match. SKU codes are case-sensitive. For example, if SKU in WooCommerce is "code-1" and Variant Code in Katana is "CODE-1", these are not considered equal and a new product variant for "code-1" is created in Katana.
2. Checking WooCommerce ID. If you do not use SKU codes for your products or if there is no SKU match, then we use WooCommerce ID to match the product. This match cannot be made at the first time you are syncing the product. When a product variant is pulled from WooCommerce to Katana for the first time, a WooCommerce ID (hidden from the user) is added to the product variant in Katana for future identification. If the same product variant is pulled in the future, Katana matches the ID.
If the imported product does not match with any existing products in Katana, then a new product is created in Katana.
Product data from WooCommerce is imported to Katana product data fields as follows:
|Product type||Variants||Katana imports "Simple products" and "Variable products" from WooCommerce. "Grouped products" and "External/affiliate products" are not imported.|
"Variations" of a "Variable product" in WooCommerce will be imported as Product Variants to Katana.
In WooCommerce, a parent of a "Variable product" has an independent SKU code. In Katana, a parent product is not an independent item, but only variants of that product are treated as items in Katana. Therefore, for "Variable products" imported from WooCommerce, an additional variant for the WooCommerce parent product will be in Katana. E.g. if you have a "Variable product" called "T-Shirt" in WooCommerce with 2 size variants "Small" and "Large", Katana will create a product called "T-Shirt" with 3 variants: "T-Shirt", "T-Shirt Small" and "T-Shirt Large".
|-||Unit of Measure||Unit of measure does not exist in WooCommerce, Katana will use "pcs" as a default value for Unit of Measure.|
|-||Reorder Point||Reorder Point does not exist in WooCommerce, so this will be left blank in Katana. Low Stock Threshold in WooCommerce will not be imported to Katana.|
|Regular Price||Default Sales Price||When you have chosen to import all products during initial connection, then the Regular Price (not Sale Price) of the product in WooCommerce will be imported as the Default Sales Price for products in Katana. The Default Sales Price is determined based on the selected tax rate settings. Read more.|
When new products are imported to Katana as part of imported Sales Orders, the Price per Unit on a Sales Order in Katana will match the Cost of the product on WooCommerce Sales Order, but the Default Sales Price will be left blank for those new products in Katana.
|-||Cost||During the initial connection, you can define the cost for imported products. The initial cost of products will define the Average Cost for those items in the "Inventory" list. Read more.|
Editing or deleting a product is not synced
Editing data in either WooCommerce or Katana for a product that has already been imported does not reflect in the other system. Any changes to the product name, variations or sales price are not synced.
Deleting products in either Katana or WooCommerce does not delete the product automatically in the other system.
Syncing new products when the integration is already enabled
After you have enabled the WooCommerce x Katana integration, new products created in WooCommerce or Katana are not synced to the other system automatically.
New products are imported from WooCommerce to Katana only if:
- The product is included in a Sales Order that is synced from WooCommerce to Katana.
- You complete the reconfiguration flow for WooCommerce integration in Katana and select to import all your products. Read more here.