Update data for existing products via import
You can update data for products already existing in Katana in bulk via XLS import.
The most typical use cases include:
- Importing Variant codes (SKU) to existing products in Katana. If you have a long list of products without Variant codes in Katana, it might be more efficient to generate the codes in the spreadsheet and upload into Katana than entering Variant codes manually directly into Katana.
- Updating Product names, Categories, and Default Sales Prices for products in bulk.
- Updating Default Suppliers and Purchase Prices for purchasable products in bulk.
The overwriting template and workflow in Katana are separate from the functionality of adding new products. Read more about Adding new products via XLS here.
How to bulk update data for existing products via import?
1. Navigate to "Settings" -> "Import data" in Katana.
2. Find the "Update existing products" section and select "Download template".
3. A spreadsheet (XLSX format) with all your existing Katana product data will be downloaded. This template includes a "Katana ID" column, which we will use for matching the imported products with products existing in Katana.
4. Make the preferred changes to product data in the spreadsheet.
5. Import the XLSX file back into Katana by selecting "Upload data" next to the "Update existing products" in the "Import data" section.
6. Updated data in the spreadsheet will overwrite existing product data in Katana.
Tip: Creating .xlsx on Mac. Open the spreadsheet in Numbers and choose File -> Export to -> Excel... from the menu at the top of your screen.
Tip: Creating .xlsx in Google Sheets. Open the spreadsheet in Google Sheets and choose File -> Download as -> Microsoft Excel (.xlsx).
Which rules are applied to the import?
1. Imported products are matched to existing products in Katana by "Katana ID" included in the spreadsheet. This ID is not visible to the user inside Katana, it's a value purely used for matching the products.
2. Imported products with no "Katana ID" match in Katana will be skipped during import.
3. Any changes to any columns in the spreadsheet will update the respective data for products in Katana. The only exception is the "Product variant" column, changes to which will not update any data in Katana. This column is included in the spreadsheet only for better identification purposes for the user.
4. The "Make?" and "Buy?" columns accept values "yes", "y", "no", and "n". At least one of those columns must include a positive answer, otherwise, the row will be skipped during import.
5. If a product has multiple variants, then changing the "Product name" in the spreadsheet for only one variant will not split the product variants into multiple product cards in Katana, but will overwrite the product name for the original product.
6. Empty cells are ignored during import. Existing data in Katana will not be overwritten with blank values.