Managing order fulfillment with Shipstation, Katana, and Shopify/WooCommerce
This article describes the order fulfillment workflow for Shipstation users who sell products on either Shopify or WooCommerce e-commerce platforms.
If you are using Shipstation for shipping and Shopify or WooCommerce for online sales, it is easy to manage order fulfillment using Katana-Shipstation-eCommerce in combination.
Although Katana does not yet have a direct integration with Shipstation, by enabling sales order fulfillment status sync between those 3 systems, managing order fulfillment is a breeze.
Note: We are using Shopify e-commerce platform in the example below, but the workflow is similar for WooCommerce.
If you are using Katana, Shopify, and Shipstation, you can integrate Katana with Shopify, and Shopify with Shipstation. In general, you should manage the following processes in each system:
- Shopify - sales, product descriptions
- Katana - inventory for finished goods and raw materials, product recipes, production operations and schedule, purchasing
- Shipstation - shipping
To make the process more automatic, make sure you switch ON the sales order status sync between Katana-Shopify and Shopify-Shipstation. This will enable you to mark the sales order as fulfilled in any of those systems, and it will automatically mark the order as fulfilled in all the other systems.
This is how a typical workflow looks like:
- A customer places an order in Shopify. A sales order is created in Shopify with an "Unfulfilled" status.
- The sales order is automatically synced from Shopify to Katana and Shipstation.
- In Katana, the sales order appears in the "Sell" screen under Open orders. Check the Sales Items availability status to see if the required products are available in stock. If not, schedule production for required products, manage raw material requirements and purchasing, and complete the production.
- When the Sales Items availability on Katana's Sell screen shows a green "In Stock" status for the sales order, all the required items are available and you can proceed to shipping.
- (Optional) To make it clear which sales orders have been moved to the shipping process, you can mark the sales order delivery status as "Packed" in Katana. This will remove the items from your stock but will keep the sales order in the Open Sales Orders list. It will not change the fulfillment status of the sales order in Shopify or Shipstation.
- Now go to Shipstation and find the order. Manage the shipping process in Shipstation and when you have shipped out the order, mark the order as completed in Shipstation.
- This will trigger automatic sales order fulfillment status sync (if you have switched it ON), will mark the sales order as "Fulfilled" in Shopify and, as a result, as "Delivered" in Katana.
- The sales order is automatically moved to Done Sales Orders list in Katana and the stock for the shipped products is reduced.
That's it! You have successfully fulfilled the order.
You can also keep your stock levels automatically updated in Shopify by syncing stock from Katana to Shopify. Read more.