How are customers imported from WooCommerce to Katana?
Customers can be imported from WooCommerce to Katana in the following cases:
- You can choose to import all your customers from WooCommerce to Katana during the initial integration connection.
- If you choose not to import all customers, only those customers will be imported to Katana during initial connection that appear on imported Sales Orders. Read more.
- Later, when new Sales Orders are synced from WooCommerce to Katana, then customers on those orders are imported Katana.
Customers cannot be synced from Katana to WooCommerce.
Creating and matching customers
Katana matches customers imported from WooCommerce to your existing customers in Katana.
- If a match is found, a new customer is not created.
- If a match is not found, a new customer is created in Katana.
This is how we identify whether a customer already exists in Katana:
1. Checking WooCommerce ID. When a customer is pulled from WooCommerce to Katana for the first time, a WooCommerce ID (hidden from the user) is added to the customer in Katana for future identification. If the same customer is pulled in the future, Katana matches the ID. This means that if you edit any information for this customer in WooCommerce (e.g. change the name or e-mail address), Katana will still identify it as the same customer. In this case, other information will be overwritten in Katana.
2. Checking e-mail addresses. If there is no match with WooCommerce ID, e-mail addresses will be compared to make the match. If there is a single match with e-mail addresses but the customer name does not match, the customer is matched and customer name in Katana is overwritten with WooCommerce value. If there are multiple matches with e-mail addresses, then a new customer is created in Katana.
3. Checking customer names.
- If there is no match with WooCommerce ID and the e-mail for the customer does not exist in WooCommerce, customer name will be used to make the match. If a single customer name match exists in Katana, then the customer is matched. If there are multiple customer name matches or no matches, then a new customer is created in Katana.
- If there is no match with WooCommerce ID, the e-mail for the customer exists in WooCommerce but does not match with Katana, customer name will be used to make the match. If a single customer name match exists in Katana and this customer does not have an e-mail address in Katana, then the customer is matched and e-mail address added to this customer in Katana. If a single customer name match exists in Katana and this customer has a not matching e-mail address in Katana, then a new customer is created in Katana. If there are multiple customer name matches, then a new customer is created in Katana.
Customer data between WooCommerce and Katana is matched as follows:
|First name & Last name||Customer name||-|
|E-mail address||E-mail address||-|
|Phone number||Phone number||-|
|-||Comments||Will be left blank in Katana.|
|Address||-||Customer address does not exist in Katana, will be left blank.|
Editing or deleting a customer is not synced
Editing data in either WooCommerce or Katana for a customer that has already been imported does not reflect in the other system. Any changes to the customer name, e-mail address, phone number or comments are not synced.
Deleting customers in either Katana or WooCommerce does not delete the customer automatically in the other system.
Syncing new customers when the integration is already enabled
After you have enabled the WooCommerce x Katana integration, new customers created in WooCommerce or Katana are not synced to the other system automatically.
New customers are imported from WooCommerce to Katana only if:
- The customer is included in a Sales Order that is synced from WooCommerce to Katana.
- You complete the reconfiguration flow for WooCommerce integration in Katana and select to import all your customers. Read more here.