This is a guide for setting up a Zap for importing Customers from Google Sheets to Katana. You can use a similar approach for importing Customers to Katana from other apps available on Zapier.
You can use this approach to do either a one-time import or import customers continuously.
If you are looking to do a one-time import, start by adding an example row to the Google Sheet spreadsheet you want to use for import. If you add all customers to the spreadsheet before setting up the import, Zapier will not be able to identify them because the Zap is triggered only when a new row is added. First, do the set-up with an example row, then add the rest of the rows.
Use the following approach to import Customers from Google Sheets spreadsheet to Katana:
1. In your Zapier account, create a new Zap.
2. Enter a name for the Zap.
3. Choose a trigger:
- Find and select "Google Sheets".
- Select a Trigger event: we recommend selecting "New spreadsheet row". This will start the Zap when a new row is added to the spreadsheet. For example, when a new customer is entered as a new row to the sheet.
There is an option to select "New or updated spreadsheet row", but Katana app on Zapier does not enable you to update existing customers in Katana. This trigger event will create a customer in Katana when an existing row is edited on the spreadsheet.
- Choose your Google Sheets account and log in.
- Choose a spreadsheet and a worksheet where the customer that you wish to import to Katana will be entered.
You can then test the trigger and continue.
4. Choose an action to create a customer:
- Find and select "Katana".
- Select an Action Event: we recommend selecting "Find customer" as the action. This will enable you to match customers on rows on the spreadsheet to your existing customers in Katana and avoid creating duplicates.
- Choose your Katana account and log in.
- Select a Search By field. This is a field in Katana that is used for matching to the customer on the spreadsheet. This is typically a unique identifier for the customer and we are going to use the e-mail address in this case.
- Select a Search Term. We are going to select "Customer e-mail" from Google Sheets in this case.
- Enable "Create Katana MRP Customer if it doesn't exist yet". Then map the fields from the spreadsheet to respective fields in Katana.
You can now test the action and continue.
5. Your Zap for importing Customers from Google Sheets to Katana is now ready for turning on.
6. For one-time import, after the Zap has been turned ON, copy the rest of your customers to the spreadsheet. Once the import of customers has been completed, turn off the Zap.
- Only new rows added after the last existing row on the spreadsheet will be imported to Katana. If you are adding new rows between other rows, for example, then these will not be imported to Katana.
- We recommend adding only complete and correct data to rows on the spreadsheet, otherwise incorrect data might be imported to Katana (if you edit rows after initially entering them, for example).