Importing Product Recipes
You can import Product Recipes using our XLS template. If you have Product Recipes (bill-of-materials) already available on a spreadsheet and/or if you have a large number of products in Katana, it is typically more efficient to upload recipes using our import template than adding the recipes manually to Katana.
How to import product recipes?
1. Download a template by clicking here. You can also find the template in Katana at Settings -> Data Import -> Add new product recipes / BOMs -> Download template.
2. Fill in the template. We have included an Instructions sheet and some comments to column headers on the BOM data sheet, which should help you understand the structure of the template. Please also see more guidelines below in this article. If you have any questions, reach us in chat or via e-mail email@example.com.
3. Save the filled template in .xls or .xlsx format.
Creating .xlsx on Mac: Open the spreadsheet in Numbers and choose File -> Export to -> Excel... from the menu at the top of your screen.
Creating .xlsx in Google Sheets: Open the spreadsheet in Google Sheets and choose File -> Download as -> Microsoft Excel (.xlsx).
4. In Katana, navigate to Settings -> Data Import. Click "Upload data" for "Add new product recipes / BOMs" and select the filled template file.
5. Before uploading the data, Katana will analyze the imported file and show you whether there are any errors with any rows or columns. If any rows are skipped, please check the imported file, correct the mistakes and upload it again.
6. When you click "OK, go ahead", Katana will import the recipes into Katana. When the import is complete, you will receive a message indicating the number of recipe rows imported.
You can access your new recipes by navigating to a product card from the "Items" screen and selecting a "Product recipe / BOM" tab.
Main principles, requirements, and comments
- When defining recipes in the template, you can only use products and ingredients that already exist in Katana. New items will not be created by uploading recipes. Use our product and material import templates for adding new items.
- Products and ingredients on the spreadsheet are matched to Katana items based on the Variant Code / SKU. Therefore, using Variant Code / SKU is required for both products and materials for importing recipes.
- If a product (variant) has multiple ingredients, create multiple rows for that product (variant) and enter each ingredient to a new row in the spreadsheet. Make sure that you also duplicate the product Variant Code / SKU on each of those lines.
- All ingredients in the uploaded file will be added as new rows to product recipes in Katana. If the product already has an existing recipe in Katana, ingredients on the spreadsheet are not matched to any existing recipe lines. If you are looking to update existing recipes, please see below for more information.
- "Product variant code / SKU", "Ingredient variant code / SKU" and "Quantity" columns are required. Make sure that the column name in the uploaded file matches with our template.
- "Product variant name" and "Ingredient variant name" columns are optional. These fields are only included for better usability purposes if entering the item name makes it easier for you to prepare the template. The data in this field is not imported to Katana. The match to an item in Katana is only made based on the Variant Code / SKU, not by the product or ingredient name.
- "Notes" will be imported to the respective field for each ingredient in the Product Recipe in Katana. Add any notes to the ingredient, like more detailed specifications, instructions for handling, etc.
- Unit of measure for the ingredient is set on the item card in Katana, it cannot be defined via product recipe import.
Updating existing product recipes
Uploading the template will always add new ingredients to product recipes in Katana. Rows in the file will not be matched to existing ingredients in Katana (i.e. if you upload the same ingredient with exactly the same quantity that already exists for the product (variant) in Katana, it will add a duplicate ingredient row to the recipe).
If you wish to update existing product recipes, please follow the described workflow:
1. Download your recipes from Katana (available for download at Settings -> Data import -> Add new product recipes / BOMs -> Download data).
2. Delete the recipes in Katana (you can delete recipes in bulk by selecting multiple items on the "Items" screen and clicking Bulk actions -> Delete Product recipes/BOM).
3. Make the relevant changes to recipes in the downloaded file and upload it back into Katana.