When customizing your own sales order or quote template, it's good to know how to add the fields you need to the PDF. This article provides some guidance on how to add data fields into your Katana template using the PDF Editor.
Inside the template, you can access specific data fields based on the type of template (sales order, quote). You will also find demo data inside the template relating to the template type.
Steps to adding a data field
1. Head to Settings > Print templates and choose a quote or sales order template that isn't locked (create a new template if you only have default templates). Then, click on the 3 dots and choose "Edit".
2. Once inside the PDF editor, click on the type of component that you want to add to the template (eg. Text).
3. After clicking on the component you want, you should see a box inside the template that you can drag around and place into your preferred location on the template.
4. Once you've placed the component where you want, click on "Insert data field" from the right menu.
5. Clicking this should open up a list of all the available fields from Katana that you can add to the component. For this example, let's choose "ship_from".
NOTE: To acces some fields, you need to open the expandable folders that they are in.
6. After selecting "ship_from", you should see that the component is populated with the value from the demo data: Main warehouse.
7. If you need additional text (such as a field name), double-click on the text component and type out the text.
8. Preview the template via View -> Preview to make sure everything looks correct and then File -> Save the template.
Useful information for editing PDF templates
Different types of data fields (eg. date and text) should be in separate components.
On the template, you'll probably notice [HTML CONTENT] and [EXPRESSION].
These signify areas where fields will be populated by existing Katana data. For example, Address fields use [EXPRESSION] in order to show/hide values that are available from Katana data. [HTML CONTENT] includes convenient formatting for SKU, serial number tracking, and batch tracking information.
To see the exact contents of the fields, click on the field and choose FORMATTING from the right side menu and look at the Raw value.
See here how to add data fields to a table or container component.